Tuesday, November 16, 2004

post diwali weekend

Well, after the purchase of a something that resembled a traditional indian outfit - Diwali was indeed alot of fun. Lots of fireworks, bright lights and smiling faces on show. The only downside was the onset of so many fire crackers made the city sound like a war zone. My own cellerbrations went the familiar way, I donned the clobber and went for a drink!. It just so happened that, that drink was with people who were flying home the following weekend, so yes you guessed it - it got messy!. Two night clubs and a bucket load of ale is testimony to that....

However it gets worse. India is a country were if you have cash you can do what you like (within reason I guess). So under the influence, the high speed rickshaw racing began around the late night streets of Bangalore!. Not satisfied with this, a few rupees changed hangs, and guess what yours was indeed driving - O what fun I can tell you!. Picture the scene 'monkey in a rickshaw'

Anyways, satifisfied with the excitement of the nightlife and rickshaw racing I decided culture was the way forward for Saturday. I dragged my friend from bed, and demanded we hit the sights. The Tipu Summers palace was first on the list - was disappointed with this, as I'd been led to expect more.... But the temple next door was a cracker! . A short rickshaw ride later this was followed by the Bull Temple. Now I really liked this place, thought it had lots of character, I mean were else in the world would you find a 30 foot bull in the middle of a temple?

A funny thing happened at the bull temple, as some local chap decided to shove his baby @ me and demand a photo of me holding her.... No idea what that was about, but seemed only polite to oblige. From the temple it was off to the market. Now my friend with me is a yank... Now yanks are not renewed for there comprehension of the English language in the way that we might understand it. However, that aside imagine my surprise to hear a description of the hustle, bustle and chaos of Indian market life as a 'cluster fuck'. That is indeed a new one on me .... 'go figure!'

All in all much enjoyable weekend, making full use of 'crazy rickshaws' O and of course the obligatory ale!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home