Monday, February 14, 2005

Stateside Part deux

Well after weeks of battling communicable diseases (I'm not quite right still), over indulgences due in part to my birthday and graduation its about time I finally finished the last half of the tales of states side. I left the story in a somewhat drunken state - In a bar were happy hour meant not discounted, not even cheap, but bloody free beer!. Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth - it was in with both feet.... happy as a butchers dog I was (in part as the free ale wasn't that weak old American shite!)... After what can only be described as an abuse of the hosts hospitality, it was off to a student bar called the Blue Iguana. Despite the name sounding like it should be a homage to the village people it was actually quite good, if memory serves me well - glad to say it was more Dawson's creek than poodle creek, with live band and all!

Friday was a top night, for those fans of Jazz at least. The legendary Green Mill was the destination in old Chicago. Great place, great music and great company!. However, all the girls did struggle with the no talking rule... which was funny in itself. Image a class of junior school kids dieing to talk when told not to by teacher ... it was kinda like that, only funnier. Anyways the snow was coming down hard, so we decided to leave, step up Chicago's drunkest taxi driver. This guy was so drunk, he had me in tears not because he was funny, but by what he was doing .... everybody in the world was f**king wrong... he was indeed gods gift to taxi driving. All hail pissed taxi driver, the genius of world politics and humorous satire - what a superstar! (Fantastic, he had a mullet and I'm sure a tractor @ home - O how I love steriotypes, maybe he was married to his sister?)

Suffice to say the snow came down so much the airport was closed ... Great I love snow!. Anyways, only one thing for it - snowman time. So off I trot with the girls to build a snowman. Now, liking a drink as I do, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought about putting schnapps in hot chocolate - but the girls did... Top brownie points for that one girls!. Snow angels, and snowman followed - not since I was in my early teens have I rolled around in the snow trying to make a snow man - O how I missed it!. There are apparently pictures of this escapade, which will follow in due course ... The day was completed with adult behaviour in the form of dinner and a trip to the bar ... all in a good end to the trip.

Sunday being the last day was my only experience of Sunday fun day - and the famous bloody mary .... still not sure on them, an acquired taste me thinks. My thoughts are I'll try one again next time I'm hacking up a lung and see if does anything for me!. The ride to the airport was a dull affair - as these things are when your home would bound, and if I'm honest I was in a mischievous mood!. The result for those that know me well is predictable, that I spent the entire journey winding my hostess up .... to the point whereby she wasn't talking to me by the time we hit the airport. In monkeys world this is amusement personified, but I'm sure the little Yank won't agree - so I guess I should grovel for forgiveness, else I'll not be invited back :)...

So thats the trip in a nutshell - Thanks again to all those that made the trip special, it was a pleasure to meet each and everyone of you ... if your ever in my neck of the woods, come look me up and I'll do my best to repay your warm welcome...... hope to see you again soon!. Last, but by no means least, thanks to the little Yank for taking time out to show me around and KW for putting a roof over my head....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home