Thursday, January 05, 2006

cutting the rope

I've been reading 'Touching the Void' over the last few weeks, so was
pleasantly surprised to see the film version on TV again last week. To
my surprise I really enjoyed it, as it was more of a documentary than
anything else (I was expecting Hollywood glitz and someone like
Sylvester Stallone trying to look all macho!). It was even better timing
in a way, as I went to see a talk presented by Simon Yates in Oxford a
little before Christmas. Simon is a very good speaker, funny and full of
vigor for climbing. Whats more amazing is the lite he makes of cutting
the rope. Anyways, that aside as a climber both the book and film raise
some interesting questions - namely would you, or would you not 'cut the
rope' to in a bid to stay alive?.

This is a question I've thought about a few times, and probably more
recently than I have done for a while. And well if I'm honest I don't
know the answer. Climbing (and all outdoor pursuits) are in many
respects very sociable, but are also inherently dangerous - perhaps the
reason why people participate?. But more importantly they promote
teamwork, and controlled determination. On the other hand mountaineering
is arguably far more selfish in nature, its less about the journey and
more about whats accomplished (reaching the top). So I guess given that
as a backdrop the answer becomes simple, in your pursuit to achieve you
will do whatever it takes - or will you?. Me, well I still don't know,
and fingers crossed I am never faced with the choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home