Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The time has come to set some goals

With my holiday plans now pretty much finalised, its dawned on me that I need to be setting myself some milestones. Realistically I need to ensure that my fitness is at the appropriate level, not only be able to meet the challenge of what I've planned this year, but also to do it with a smile on my face... Also its about time I made some use of that sport science degree of mine.

So here's the plan... and the goals. The timeline is simple, I start indoor climbing again in two weeks, this should aid technique and flexibiity. Looking forward, I've a little over 10 weeks until I go to Oz, and a little over 5 months until I hit Africa. Oz is more a recreation trip, but I anticipate spending sometime in the Blue Mountains, so with a bit of luck I should get a warm up climb or two in. But whichever way I dress it up, Mt Kenya and Mt Kilimanjaro are the main events. Both aren't very technical, so although I'm doing some indoor rope work this is more to get me in the mood, and the concentration is definitely on energy levels, flexibility and stamina...

So were am I currently, well my energy levels have been a little low recently. However, I think this is work related or simply an indication that I've done to much to soon. But just to be sure I've changed my diet to include more Vitamin B, fruit, beans, Soya and brown rice. If diets the problem I should see results in a week or so, even if its not the change in diet is a good thing. Cardio wise I'm in pretty good shape as I've been running on a regular basis for around 10 weeks. So since, the runnring's being going well, its time to reintroduce cross training and weights to the plan. This should further reinforce the cardio work already in the 'bank' and help to continue to build further. Add to this some miles on the bike, the indoor rope work on the wall, the fit ball and you have the basis of good program....

So the goals - for the next ten weeks ... well achievable is the key so they are (as much to remind me as for your interest).

resting heart rate -> 60bpm (its currently 64)
anaerobic rep rate -> 15 (currently 10)
aerobic continuous threshold -> 90 mins (currently 55 mins)
average aerobic heart rate -> 173 (currently 180)
No wife beater -> 0 (substituted with Guinness)

so there we have it, the aim for the next 10 weeks .... no stella, balance out my diet and increase general fitness. We'll see were we get to in time, maybe even get a six pack again :) ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home